Cyprus is the last country in Europe where retirees still get a good deal - taxation on pension income after allowances is fixed at 5%. The cost of living is lower than in most other countries like the UK or Spain and the quality of life is very good with residents enjoying the best of both British and Cypriot culture. This adds up to is the fact that increasing numbers of retirees, and people who are considering their retirement are buying property in Cyprus. Cyprusreal, estate, forsale, When considering retirement abroad the majority of people require the following essentials: • Ideally in a location where English is understood
• Relatively easy access to good quality medical facilities
• Fairly easy access to an airport
• Good access to a like minded community for making friends and socialising
• Reasonable access to local shops and general amenities such as a restaurant
• Low living costs, so that they can maintain a good life style.
• Good weather, so that an outside lifestyle can be enjoyed Cyprus is quite a small island with most residential communities spread along the scenic coastline, no matter where you decide to buy your retirement home you will have straightforward access to all of the above. English is the second language for most Cypriots, most of the laws in Cyprus are based on the English system and everybody drives on the left side of the road. Medical facilities are very good and up to date, and in most circumstances the doctor will see you straight away - even at weekends! The cost of living is much lower in Cyprus, as an example petrol is 30% cheaper, water bills for the average household is about 80 Euros and the council tax is approximately 130 Euros/ year!! Cyprus has 320 days of sunshine a year and even at Christmas you can sit outside in your shorts or go for a walk along the beach.